Since 2019 is halfway over (wait. what??), I thought I’d share some of my favorites among the books I’ve read so far this year. I’m terrible at keeping up with what I’ve read, much less whether or not I liked it. Goodreads, a social media app for readers, is a huge help in chronicling what I’ve read and how I would rate it. According to my Goodreads profile, I’ve read 36 books thus far in 2019. Here are some of my favorites, all garnering the coveted five star Goodreads rating:
- Courage, Dear Heart: Letters to a Weary World by Rebecca K. Reynolds
- All That’s Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment By Hannah Anderson
- The Passion of the King of Glory by Russ Ramsey
- Spurgeon’s Sorrows: Realistic Hope for those who Suffer from Depression by Zack Eswine
- A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God’s Love by Milton Vincent
- The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism by Jemar Tisby
- Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was, and Who God Has Always Been by Jackie Hill Perry
- Silence by Shusaku Endo
- The Winternight Trilogy (The Bear and the Nightingale, The Girl in the Tower, The Winter of the Witch), by Katherine Arden
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
I was once fairly generous with my five star ratings for fiction titles. However, over the years I’ve become more stingy with the stars. Only Silence and two of the Winternight titles received 5 stars among the fiction books I’ve read so far this year. Either I’m harder to please, or my tastes are more refined, or I’ve been reading less compelling books. Here are a few novels I rated four stars that I nonetheless enjoyed very much:
- Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield
- No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
- The Current by Tim Johnston
I’m often asked for book recommendations so I’m considering keeping a running list of my all time favorites on a page here at the blog. You can also look for me on Goodreads and follow me there.
I’d love to hear your favorites of 2019 (so far) as well as your all time best loved reads! Shoot me an email and let me know, just click “Contact me” above. Here’s to the great reads awaiting us in the last half of 2019!
Note: the Amazon links are affiliate links which means I receive a small percentage of purchases made.